Filing for Divorce in Texas

Texas is a no-fault divorce state which means that you can file for divorce based on the fact that your marriage is irretrievably broken. No fault or marital misconduct needs to be assigned to either party. You can also petition the court for a divorce based on fault, which may affect the division of marital property.

Fault grounds include:

  • Adultery
  • Cruel treatment
  • Conviction of a felony and/or incarceration of a spouse
  • Abandonment
  • Confinement in a mental institution for at least three years
  • Living separate and apart for three years

Thinking about a divorce? Contact our El Paso divorce attorney at (915) 642-0466

Compassionate & Assertive Legal Representation

To finalize your divorce, you and your spouse will have to agree on various matters including child custody and supportspousal support, and the division of marital property. Texas is a community property state which means that, in most cases, marital property is divided equitably.

Divorce Decree Modifications

You may seek a modification of your divorce decree in Texas after one year. The most common modifications sought are those regarding child custody, child support, and spousal support. You must have a valid reason, such as a substantial change in your financial circumstances, to seek such a modification.

To learn more about Texas divorce and to discuss your case, call El Paso family lawyer Linette Aguirre-Gonzalez at (915) 642-0466.

Contact us for a consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy